Thursday, June 16, 2016

There's Peace in Perspective


Hey all my sweet peeps. I hope you are having a wonderful day. I know that right now things seem bleak... alot of times when Facebook blows up with a lot of negative stuff you tend to see less of me. I try to keep things positive, so I don't typically comment or share all the stuff going around. But, between politics and several very real and hard hitting tragedies it has gotten so bad that I just wanted to take a moment and talk from the heart. Will you hear me out?
Everyone has an opinion and some will voice it and others won't. I know there are tasteless things being said and harsh words back and forth over it and over a million other things people can't agree on right now. I don't want to bash anyone and I am not on my soap box preaching... this is as much a reminder for me as for anyone else. I am only saying this because this is what God is speaking to my heart today. Sometimes we just need to take a step back, not internalize what we are seeing or hearing, and just try to see it from a different perspective.
Here is what I mean... sometimes our first response to tragedy is "how could this happen?" we look for someone to blame. This is human nature... a natural reaction. Others of us look for a way to cope or not deal with the sad feelings... we might turn to humor... or we might just be angry and lash out at people. This is also human nature. When we don't know how to deal with what we are seeing we often turn to behaviors that from another perspective just seem cruel... and maybe sometimes it is... but many times the ones who are the most cruel are the ones who have never been taught how to deal with emotions, never had empathy or grace demonstrated to them, or have so much tradegy and hurt in their own lives that they simply can't deal with it from anywhere else. I know it stinks and we WANT to blame someone..., we want to seek out justice... but real justice would mean no grace... and were it not for God's grace we would all be so condemned.
So, when I get that grudgy/judgy/grumpy feeling I am taking a moment to evaluate and figure out how I can apply some grace. Its as much for me (if not more) as it is the person I am applying it to. When I give grace and allowances I quit stressing over what others are thinking and doing, I am not wasting my precious time, attention, and emotional energy on the frustration and strife worrying over others inevitably causes. I have peace. I save my energy for what God has for me, because what I give focus to, I give power to in my life. I want God's Word to have power in my life. When I need a perspective change I remember this verse.
Phillipians 4:8 - Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

No comments:

Post a Comment