Monday, July 20, 2009

Growing kids

I feel like I'm tending a garden here and my precious little plants have good root systems and are gaining height. It's important to properly water and ensure they have the appropriate nutrients so that their branches will be strong enough to bear the fruit of much labor and love. But I know that means that at some point as the grow and begin to blossom and those blossoms are pollinated and fruit begins to form that the fruit will be plucked and the plants must be pruned. I don't look forward to my children being plucked from me piece by piece as they begin to go out into the world more and more on their own and independent. I know I have to let go because the fruit they bear is important in someone elses life. I want them to give of themselves to others and have an effect on the world... but they are my babies and it's hard to see them grow up.

The milestones are so bittersweet. I am so very proud of each thing my children accomplish... but each thing brings them closer and closer to independence. I'm trusting the Lord to give me wisdom and discernment to know when to hold on just a little bit longer and when to let them go and do what He has called them to do and be who he has called them to be. In the mean time, the hugs will be a little bit tighter and last a bit longer... and I will enjoy each one, knowing that no matter how independent they become, how educated they get or how far away they go they will always be my children and will bear fruit representative of a legacy of love.

To quote a Nichole Nordeman song - I wanna leave a legacy. How will they remember me? Did I choose to love? Did I point to you enough to leave a mark on things? I wanna leave an offering. A child of mercy and grace who blessed your name unapologetically. And leave that kind of legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment