Saturday, September 27, 2008

So here's the scoop

Some know and some don't so I'll just put everything here for you all to read if you so desire.
What most don't know:I've been struggling for a while now with various issues such as hair falling out, extremely dry skin, weight gain (despite a good diet and decent activity), fatigue, depression and anxiety (we had attributed this to PPD until now), difficulty concentrating and remembering things (I would forget names or words that I know, things I've done, or think I've done something I haven't), the list goes on and on.

What some know:I went to the doctor Monday and had all kinds of tests run. I got the results back yesterday and was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease. It's an autoimmune disorder that effects the thyroid. So, I am hypothyroid. This disorder causes all kinds of nasty effect which explains all of my issues.

Why I'm thankful: Frankly, it could be worse. Thankfully, this is something that is easily controlled with medication. Once we get the dosage right (which will probably take months of trial and error) I'll be set and re-test every year. It is something I will have to take for the rest of my life and the dosage may increase in later years. I'm quite relieved to know that there is a reason to all the madness. I've been going through some very difficult times lately because of it and I praise the Lord for the medical technology that helps so many people like me. I'm thankful that I will have a chance to minister to other people who are going through the same thing... to provide encouragement and advice. I'm thankful that I can share with people who may not understand... people who may judge others in my position. Believe me... I know the eye rolls you get when you are over-weight and claim that you are doing everything "right"... and the crazy looks when you can't come up with a word, a name, or recall something simple. Most of all, I'm thankful for all of my friends and family whom I know have and always will support me and love me no matter what. You all have made a difference in my life, whether you know it or not.

Mrs JD

No comments:

Post a Comment